Nestled in 5 acres of gardens and natural bushland in the leafy, rural community of Red Hill ...read more
Meet the Artist
Hi, I'm Tina Whiteley and Kurrara Designs Studio is where I create and teach textile art ...read more
For regular visitors, this page will keep you up to date with any changes to the site since your last visit.read more
Welcome to Textile Talk, where I’ll be regularly posting information related to textiles or fibre ...read more
Working with fabric, fibre and stitch is a relaxing and fun way to explore and expand your creative skills, meet new friends and keep your brain active. I don’t believe there is just one way of working. As individuals, we all love doing different things – from making cards to painting, from dressmaking to quilting. I like making what I call extreme textiles, combining the conventional with the unconventional, pushing and crossing over boundaries to make unique pieces that incorporate a number of dyeing, printing and stitching processes. Sometimes I will use my dyed and marbled fabrics with my Scan n Cut machine or Sizzix die cutter and make a variety of appliqué elements to use on a wall hanging, quilt, bag or other sewing project and then free machine stitch over them. I might also stitch paper or fabric embellishments onto cards or use papers and inks to create background designs, which I will then digitise onto fabric and use as bases for hand and machine stitching.
In my workshops I would like to pass on my knowledge and experience to give you the tools to help you create your own work and have fun trying out all the different techniques to see what you most enjoy. The benefits of my workshops are as follows:
- They are designed to give you the best experience on the day and leave you feeling uplifted, so you will go home feeling confident, inspired, eager to learn more and able to create your own masterpieces.
- I prepare and plan my workshops so they are entertaining and fun for you, because the more you enjoy learning, the more easily you’ll get the techniques, the quicker you’ll become skilled and the more you’ll love doing it.
- We all learn in different ways, so my workshops cater for a variety of learning preferences and include kits, samples, visual aids, extensive notes, demonstrations, hands-on practice, Q&A and show & tell sessions, to ensure you have all the necessary resources and information at your disposal to assist and guide you, not only during the workshops, but also when you’re at home.
- The workshops are limited to a maximum of four people, so that we can cover subjects in depth. This means that you’ll have heaps of hands-on practice, be able to ask lots of questions and have ongoing one-on-one help from me throughout the day.
- Workshops are affordable and value for money, giving you accelerated learning, setting you up for success and most of all, giving you an enjoyable day out with like-minded friends that you’ll always remember.
- Workshops are informal, yet informative, structured, yet experimental and always with your health and safety paramount.
- The studio is a generous light-filled, purpose-built ground floor space, with ergonomic, adjustable seats and solid bench tops, so you can spread out and create in comfort.
More details can be found on individual workshops by selecting the appropriate link below.
Natural dyeing with plants
A two-day workshop exploring natural plant dyes, using eucalypts and other garden plants.
Dyeing fabrics with fibre reactive dyes
Learn how to dye your own colour wheel range of co-ordinated fabrics and threads.
Sewing Machine Basics
Learn how to get the most out of your sewing machine by putting it through its paces.
Experience new and exciting ways of paper crafting, to create cards, canvas art, Christmas decorations and more.